Thursday 8 February 2007

The Not So Quiet American

The rumours appear to be true. Today I heard a frustrated American customer at the internet cafe I'm using actually BEGIN SHOUTING (IN ENGLISH) WHEN HE REALISED THE ATTENDANT COULDN'T UNDERSTAND HIM (IN ENGLISH). (The request was a rather complex one, involving the transfer of money).

I've got not idea how this guy thought he could get his point across any clearer by raising the roof. When the attendant kindly asked him, in Italian, to cease shouting, even I could understand him - though I didn't know the words he was using; any non-Italian speaker could've. Except for the gentleman in question, it seemed.

Needless to say, the Italian gentleman then developed a sudden air of the well-then-you-can-go-fuck-yourself-if-you're-going-to-keep-shouting-at-me-after-I've-asked-you-nicely-not-to variety, and the American left in a state of exasperation - much to the relief of all in the internet cafe. (I suppose I should add that I realise this may not be restricted to, nor representative of American people per se...)

3 comments:

Graham said...

Hi Jaya, Interesting observation -i wonder what is in the mond of th e"loud" american. Does he tink that italians just don't spoeak English to be annoying.I've noticed pommes tend to speak more slowly or in baby talk to non eng speakers, and Kiwis adopt the italian (or whatever) eaccent as if that'll help bridge the gap. In fact i wonder if they think that italian is just english with a accent. Tempting to rush to some national characteristics hypotheses.

Michelle said...

Jaya, regarding rude Americans ... my American tells me that it's true--she has frequently cringed in Europe and Australia at the behaviour of her fellow Americans. She often feels the need to apologise on behalf of all Americans. But I don't know, anyone can be rude, its not just an American thing. They might just do it a little more LOUDLY than others. Sounds like you're having heaps of fun. xx Michelle

Jaya Savige said...

Hey Michelle! You're right... anyone can be rude, not just American people. I met a very polite one last night, an artist from New York who won a scholarship here five years ago, then decided to move permanently... his Italian is very good. I must admit, though, a few of the US students (girls) in my vicinity are not exactly endearing... of all the foreigners, they make absolutely no effort at all - zip, not even 'grazie' - to try to speak the language; my experience at the laundromat was horrible: two said girls quite simply started with 'yeah, I brought my clothes in, like, yesterday, so...'... no 'buona sera' no nothing... then one had the gall to roll her eyes at me when I was trying my best to speak in Italian, though I was obviously failing... of course, your American is wonderful, and I'm sure there are many more; just not so many round here at the mo' though! :-)