Monday 5 February 2007

Roma: il primo 72

Well, I've arrived safe and sound in Rome, though I now have the flu - a combination of a reasonably large week in London, and the air around the Colosseum. (The eponymous hero in the Henry James novella, Daisy Miller, actually dies after taking in the miasma around the Colosseum... fortunately malaria is no longer endemic here, as it was in the 19th century!)

Below are some rather hasty videos from my first 72hrs in Rome... I hope it gives anyone who's interested a good idea of where I'm staying. Please note, these videos aren't the greatest, but they will get better with experience etc. (As with all youtube vids, unless you have very quick bband, perhaps best to press pause until they've fully loaded, then watch them etc...)

(Disclaimer: the audio on some of these videos is out of sync; I've since converted others into a format that allows for synchronised audio, but the trade-off is a poorer image. Also, inexperience in posting videos is a factor. The videos also come with a severe AAW: Australian Accent Warning - no doubt something I'm noticing even more so in Rome than in London!)

1. Gardening at the B.R. Whiting Studio on a sunny Roman winter's day; a fairly uneventful vid, but shows the view from the studio. I'd originally had an introduction to this one, explaining that I'm obliged to water the plants etc, but had to cut it due to file size restrictions...



2. Colosseo with gladiator! (Again, this one is brief and not so good... will post a better one in the coming days/weeks). Notice how the gladiator says 'Kangaroo' when I tell him I'm from Australia!



It's a shame the batteries ran out on this one - he let me kill him twice, rather gruesomely. And then he asked me for 5 euros! I gave him 1. [The person holding the camera for me in this one is Maria Hyland, former resident and shortlistee for the Man Booker Prize in 2006 for Carry Me Down - and, generously, tour guide for my first trip into the city centre.]

3. Jaya's new jacket... my cold got a lot worse after this! (Audio definitely out of sync on this one.)

No comments: