Monday 12 February 2007

Pantheon Writing



Buona sera! Over the flu and out and about... Having been quite frugal so far, I thought I'd treat myself to un bicchiere di vina bianca, which was €4.50, at this cosy little ristorante / cafe. Very worth it. Then I had some gelati (baci & orange chocolate) on my way back to the tram... to top off a fabulous winter Sunday.

Starting to get into the swing of things, though in truth I'm still terrified every time I open my mouth to try to speak the language - and 'timid' is one word that certainly isn't associated with communication here! You have to put your whole body into your speech, even if only subtly... made a few friends in Trastevere (see post below) who are giving me some tips.

The Pantheon (background!) is wonderful - formerly the place you'd go to worship all the Roman gods at once, and so the best preserved of all the ancient monuments in Rome.

This cafe certainly ranks right up there with two others I've been to recently in New Zealand with Emma over Christmas (one at the top of the sky gondola in Queenstown, overlooking Lake Wakatipu, the other at the Hermitage at the base of Aoraki / Mt. Cook). Em, that seat across from me has your name on it ;-D Va bene!

5 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DC said...

Hey Jaya, glad to SEE you're treating yourself WELL. While its nice to sit down outside the pantheon with you, those utubes shudder terribly on my dialup. Post more photos! Staying sodden on bicchiere di vina bianca might help keep your whole body in your speech. Interesting stuff on Rudd's anadiplosis, anaphora too. Still teaching, hey?

GJB said...

Hey Jaya - you transported me for a few moments - thanks!
Don't suppose you'll be home in early June - we're gonna launch Typewriter Music then and would love you around.
Stay flu-free
Greg Bain

Emma Cox said...

Loving the blog, and the late night snatches of di lingua italiana!

Can't wait to take up the seat with my name on it - keep it warm my love ;-) E

Graham said...

Thought you were about to get your camera nicked for a moment there.
Stepping into the pantheon is literally mind blowing isn't it. Hard to absorb that its been a working sacred place for over 2 millenia! such deep roots in collective unconscious - Agrippa rules!