Wednesday 2 May 2007

Cafe San Marco



TRIESTE. Tuesday morning. Wander the streets in search of coffee. Find myself at Cafe San Marco, which I'd tried to visit at around midnight last night; once a bohemian cafe, one of James Joyce's faves. This morning it is empty, though I find a sign on the noticeboard spruiking a poetry reading tonight. I hope to check it out, but probably wont, given my train leaves for Rome at 9pm, and the gig starts at eight.



Coffee rating: excellent (9/10). Now back to the backpackers to check out, deposit bags at the station, and set out for Miramare...

2 comments:

Jennifer Compton said...

Never got to Trieste. Next time. Does Roma treat you well?

Jaya Savige said...

Hey Jennifer,

I highly recommend Trieste... the guide books often say it is 'run-down', which is kind of true, but the day trips from Trieste are stunning. Particularly the Rilke Walk...

It is Spring here now, though Summer is imminent. Jasmine on the breeze, sunsets & aperritivi on the terrace... ;-D