Wednesday 7 March 2007

Cafe Greco

After visiting the Palazzo Doria Pamphilij, I went for a stroll to the Piazza di Spagna to sit on the Spanish Steps. On the way, I ducked into the Café Greco on the Via Condotti (the famous shopping street I mentioned in an earlier post).

Because it was Friday night, I felt a little underdressed, flanked as I was by the Prada store, and next to it, Yves Saint Lauren, with Valentino and Armani just a few doors down. A lot, it seems, has changed since 1891, when Chekov wrote (in a letter to a Moscow friend), “neckties are amazingly cheap here, so terribly cheap that I may even take to eating them"!

Now, I remember in high-school debating the topic, ‘That clothes make the man’, and I objectively imagine myself not being fazed at all by such things, but being surrounded by fashionistas while wearing a t-shirt I picked up somewhere back home for ten bucks, coupled with being alone, made me feel as though I could do with a whiskey… or four.

And what better place to do this than Café Greco. This was the ‘local’ for countless eighteenth and nineteenth century artists; the café/bar’s regular clientele included Goethe, Stendhal, Baudelaire, Mark Twain, Arthur Schopenhauer, Nikolai Gogol, Byron, William Thackery and Hans Christian Anderson; composers, Liszt, Wagner, Bizet and Medelssohn; as well as mad King Ludwig of Bavaria (favourite subject of Australian infant terrible Michael Dransfield’s!). (Strangely enough, the café doesn’t really trade too much on this fact.)

I must’ve had three whiskeys in fifteen minutes at the bar, and was feeling quite a bit better. What’s more, they serve sandwiches and nuts with every drink – apparently it’s the law – so you get quite a meal with a few beverages. When I walked out onto the street I no longer cared a jot about the fashionistas (I suppose I wasn’t looking particularly derelict!), and felt altogether un-selfconscious.

I stopped only briefly at the Spanish Steps, wrote a few lines, then decided to leave. On my way back to the tram I took a detour and wandered into the Sant-Ignazio di Loyala, the church of the famous Jesuit saint (the first Jesuit church in Rome, the Gesu, is nearby, but I haven’t been in yet). Now I haven’t been to St. Peter’s (building up to it, you might say) but this is a remarkable church; the frescos on the ceiling, which must be ten storeys high, are very dramatic. Giant figures peer down at you as if they’re leaning over a ledge – all the more exciting, possibly, after a few whiskeys.

I spent about twenty minutes in the church with my jaw on the floor – when I left, I made the sign of the cross with some holy water on my forehead; it’s hard not to, really. As when in Westminster Abbey (see earlier post) all those years at a religious boarding school seemed to flood back; some habits are hard to break, it seems.

2 comments:

Graham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Graham said...

Love it Jaya. I wonder if you notice what i fancy i did in Roman church culture (as opposed to the irish church culture of australasia). It seemed to me that the churches are only faintly separated from Roman temples and the saints from the gods. People rush in on the way to work (or home from)...lighting a votive candle, invoking intersession for (or from?) a dead grandparent for a medical miracle, or grasping the robe or foot of a virgin's statue, or beseeching a holy image to relieve them of some burden or bring some good fortune in a business deal. Not so much the overlay of irish-catholic guilt as latin dealbroking with the dieties. "i'll make you an offer you can't refuse..". (I noticed it especiay in the biggies - John Lateran or St Peters)